• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Marco Nilsson
  • Marco Nilsson
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • 2 topics
    • Time Online: 12h 47m 38s

As we all know by now Rob, the lead developer, is very busy and can only dedicate so much time to Gridcoin development. There are a handful of additional developers ready to do work but Rob's lack of spare time also affects the rate at which pull requests are merged into the Gridcoin code base. I was talking to sebastian-- on IRC and he proposed this idea of an intermediate staging are which would have more developers with write access. Here is how it would work.

We would setup a github organisation called Gridcoin Community. This organisation forks the official Gridcoin wallet repository (or other GRC repositories of interest). Developers who are interested in participating fork the community repository instead of the main repository. After a community developer Pull Request (PR) is submitted and passed code review in the community repository, a new PR is opened in the official project so the community repository can be merged. This should produce fewer requests in the main repository since the community has the ability to merge similar fixes, and it lowers the review requirement since the community has done the first batch of code review.

This has some potential benefits to the overall development cycle.

• Pull requests are accepted or rejected faster since there are more people with write access.
  • Developers have to spend less time maintaining fixes.
  • Synchronising with the official Bitcoin repo will be faster.
  • Fixes can be tested at a more rapid pace.

However, it's not without negative side effects.

• Maintenance increases. Someone has to keep everything in sync.
  • If PRs sent to the official repo aren't accepted we risk having three diverging trees instead of just two.

Overall, I think this will have a positive impact on the development speed. If the community organisation can be trusted this should greatly improve the speed at which code is pushed through the funnel.

Thoughts and ideas?

Edited by Marco Nilsson, 27 January 2017 - 12:27 PM.

Cryptocointalk.com doesn't endorse any ads. Warning: ads my be illegal or untrustworthy in your jurisdiction. Advertising Here.

C.M
  • C.M
  • Crypto-Laird
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts
  • 100 topics
    • Time Online: 45d 18h 6m 28s

Right, we've got 10 users so far. I've sent several invites out, check your email. You can request membership if you plan to aid in development/activities.

There's 6 teams so far:

• Autonode Developers
  • Gridcoin-Research Development Team
  • Gridcoin.us Website Development Team
  • Library/Script Developers
  • Marketing/Advertising Team
  • Pool Developers Developers

Any suggestions of additional teams we could create?

What can we integrate into the repos/organisation? https://github.com/Erkan-Yilmaz/Gridcoin-tasks/issues/41

^ Smash that upvote button! ;D

Follow me on:

Github

Twitter

Steemit

SoundCloud (Hangouts)

sebastian--
  • sebastian--
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts
  • 5 topics
    • Time Online: 18d 14h 28m 35s
  • LocationZurich, Switzerland

The organization has been created by now: https://github.com/gridcoin-community
I strongly feel that future pull requests and issue raising should be done there.

This will allow Rob's development environment to coexist with whatever the community comes up with, or wants to integrate into the code.

The Charlatan

jamezz
  • jamezz
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • 0 topics
    • Time Online: 1h 42m 20s

How about actually a porting team specifically too? This also goes back to the 3rd mumble and caraka speaking on porting and how Gridcoin is ported and the lack of testing too. Additionally he asked for people like myself with other arch/platforms to test the source. This would be both dev and testing , as we could really use people from the community to test after the source code has been modified or and or added and written. We need testers as much as dev's in this area , where we are stepping out of the mainline of Windows or OSX , or Linux on x86/amd64. It would be nice to have sub's under so say like Dev - Porting - PPC64 or Dev - Porting - Sparcv9 or something specific but at this time just we are just starting to port or test and fix and build the source code to work on other architectures and really I love what Marco above is proposing.Really isn't that what git-hub is for or it used to be? Anyone can fork and do what he said , but as a community together it works better and someone doesn't just run with their own idea and and create a new coin based off Gridcoin and is what open source is all about. Maybe I am just to old and screwed up in my thinking but github was created for just that , open source so that anyone could work and contribute and the community chose not just for 1 person to run with their project and just host the files online for everybody to look at ,. it to contribute. Like I shouldn't have to fork and create working code for Gridcoin-PPC64 , Gridcoin-Sun , Gridcoin-Mips , Gridcoin-Alpha wallets that are compatible with the Gridcoin block chain code but not releases supported or developed by an already " open source community project " Anyways , that falls into dev and scripts/lib somewhere.. I just propose a porting team in there somewhere and above in general too. thx

Edited by jamezz, 01 February 2017 - 02:17 PM.

Marco Nilsson
  • Marco Nilsson
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • 2 topics
    • Time Online: 12h 47m 38s

How about actually a porting team specifically too? This also goes back to the 3rd mumble and caraka speaking on porting and how Gridcoin is ported and the lack of testing too. Additionally he asked for people like myself with other arch/platforms to test the source. This would be both dev and testing , as we could really use people from the community to test after the source code has been modified or and or added and written. We need testers as much as dev's in this area , where we are stepping out of the mainline of Windows or OSX , or Linux on x86/amd64. It would be nice to have sub's under so say like Dev - Porting - PPC64 or Dev - Porting - Sparcv9 or something specific but at this time just we are just starting to port or test and fix and build the source code to work on other architectures and really I love what Marco above is proposing.Really isn't that what git-hub is for or it used to be? Anyone can fork and do what he said , but as a community together it works better and someone doesn't just run with their own idea and and create a new coin based off Gridcoin and is what open source is all about. Maybe I am just to old and screwed up in my thinking but github was created for just that , open source so that anyone could work and contribute and the community chose not just for 1 person to run with their project and just host the files online for everybody to look at ,. it to contribute. Like I shouldn't have to fork and create working code for Gridcoin-PPC64 , Gridcoin-Sun , Gridcoin-Mips , Gridcoin-Alpha wallets that are compatible with the Gridcoin block chain code but not releases supported or developed by an already " open source community project " Anyways , that falls into dev and scripts/lib somewhere.. I just propose a porting team in there somewhere and above in general too. thx

I think that portability should always be considered. You saw that first hand with how the old Bitcoin source behaves on big endian platforms. I don't believe someone should be in charge of portability per se, but I do promote developing the software with the intention of being run wherever you run a UNIX environment. That should take you pretty far in terms of portability.

Having people or teams responsible for ensuring that the software builds and runs on certain platforms, including testing things in pull requests, would be a great way to ensure portability. You, @jamezz, are in control of some funky platforms that would be great for this. Perhaps some of them should even participate in a continuous integration system to ensure that every commit builds on these esoteric hosts.

Edited by Marco Nilsson, 01 February 2017 - 02:55 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gridcoin, development, github

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users