3 votes

GridCoin.co Pool (beta) - The ONLY Girdcoin Pool!

Started By Katiee , Dec 23 2015 02:00 PM
gridcoin mining poolmining pool mining research crunching gridcoin.co pool katiee researching BOINC account manager BAM mine BAM!

Best Answer Katiee , 02 December 2016 - 11:09 AM

vLHC@home recently consolidated with LHC@home, so I am no longer able to get any tasks through vLHC@home, but I am also not able to download any tasks from LHC@home, even though I have it added through the pool and synchronized with my BOINCManager. Any ideas why I'm not able to pull down any tasks from LHC@home?

CMS, LHCb and Theory are not added as default so poolowner would need to add those.

I'll be looking into the settings for these and each of the current projects soon when I get some time, hopefully by next week.

If someone wants to list each project that needs updated and what the settings should be changed to, into one organized post here, that would be very helpful! ♥

@Katiee, do you think this would be possible to change? I'm not sure if it would be possible to add options in future versions of your account manager, but it seems like it would be helpful to give users options of which tasks/subprojects they would like to run. I think this would be especially helpful if projects like World Community Grid are added in the future, since they have a number of projects to choose tasks for. This could be an option in the same way as the "No CPU, No NVIDIA, ATI, Intel GPU" options. Thanks!

It is IMPOSSIBLE for me to allow each pool user to set their own project settings, the pool has one account on each project, so changing those settings would affect EVERYONE on the pool, there is NO way around this sadly. It is completely out of my control. The only thing I can allow a user to control are the settings that are already currently available on your profile page, CPU/GPU/etc. Those are all client side options that the BOINC WebRPC can control. I guess it could be possible that the BOINC WebRPC has changed since the start of the pool, so I will look into if it is possible to set tasks client side now.. but I seriously doubt this has been changed.

World Community Grid isn't on the pool for a reason, they have a completely custom BOINC server build that didn't allow certain features that are absolutely required to function on the pool. I can't remember these off the top of my head.. there should be a post somewhere in this thread that went into detail about it, but I promise you at the time it just was not possible. I had originally thought I would be able to code workarounds specifically for just WCG to fix some of those issues, but I remember in the end running into huge roadblocks that prevented that. However, I will look into this at some point to see if anything has changed.

As for the whitelist, I am aware the pool has projects that are no longer on the whitelist, and are missing new projects that were added since the pool started. Adding/removing projects from the pool as they are from the whitelist is a much bigger task to do automatically then I had thought when I originally started coding the pool, I had planned to get that working at some point, but never had the time to finish it. And doing it manually meant keeping up with the Gridcoin whitelist myself, which I had been doing in the beginning but no longer really have the time to do so. I can't make any promises on this front, but it is at the top of my list to fix, whenever I can actually sit down to work on the pool code more.

I am really sorry for the slow development on the pool, but I never expected it to become this big, or to be the only one out there. Hopefully at the start of next year, after all the holidays have passed, I will finally have some time to sit down and start working on it again some. Trust me, I wish I could work full-time on the pool and Gridcoin services in general, but currently that is just not a viable option for me.. maybe someday that will change, but until then my real life job and well-being has to take priority. I really hope you all can understand.

In better news though, the new payment changes I made a couple weeks ago seem to have done the trick in fixing the issues it was having. Which means I can finally once again set the script to run automatically at a set time. Right now I am thinking of doing it every, Wednesday and Saturday night at Midnight EST, for the time being. Once I see how that goes and update the payment page to display the transactions better, I will try every day, Midnight EST.

♥ Katiee Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
305 replies to this topic

Katiee
  • Katiee
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • 2 topics
    • Time Online: 1d 20h 30m 25s

GridCoin.co Pool (beta)

This pool is under active development and may have issues/bugs from time to time. However things have been pretty stable and everything, including payments, are working normally.
Please leave any issues/bugs you run into here or leave me some feedback! ♥

The front page of the site should have all the info you need to be able to connect to the pool and start researching right away. If anything is unclear or you think something should be added, please let me know! I want to make this as easy as possible!

This pool works a little differently then the previous pool. So I will give a brief summary on how it works.

Instead of relying on BAM!, I have created my own account manager which will handle attaching the pool's projects to your BOINC client. It will also upload your host information to my database, allowing you to link your host to the pool automatically, you do not have to do anything. I have a script that runs every two hours to pull host RACs from the pool's account on each project. This is then updated in my database and displayed on your profile page. For now payments will be done semi manually, in that, once we stake a block, or once a day, or whenever I feel it should be necessary, I will run a payment script that reads everyone's RAC, compares it to everyone else in the pool and assigns you percents. "Project Percent", which is the percent of your host in that project compared to all other pool members in that project. "Total Percent", which is the percent of your host compared to the entire pool, all projects. Your total percent is now the final percent used against the pool's staking balance. For now, the script crafts a sendmany command that I can use in the wallet's console. (This will be made all automatic once I am happy everything works correctly and is stable)

A word about my account manager, this does mean you wont be able to use other managers while using mine, however once you have confirmed your host and projects are showing up on your profile, it would be perfectly fine to stop using the account manager, your RAC is updated independently of the account manager. Just make sure to connect once again if you want to add new projects or change settings.

Also, it is possible to research projects on this pool as well as research your own projects. Solo and Pool researching can be done together so long as your wallet is setup to your solo CPID BEFORE you start using the pool.

Thank you to everyone on IRC who has helped me test the pool, I wouldn't have been able to get this far without you all. ♥

Pool's CPID: 204d178f9b6d4de25297c99fed0ed860

Projects not currently supported:
    bitcoin utopia - http://www.bitcoinutopia.net/bitcoinutopia/
        Pointless without being able to set apps
    leiden classical - http://boinc.gorlaeus.net/
        Doesn't support weak auth keys
    rosetta@home - http://boinc.bakerlab.org/
    world community grid - http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/boinc/
        May add in the future
    yafu - http://yafu.myfirewall.org/yafu/
        Not accepting new accounts
    yoyo@home - http://www.rechenkraft.net/yoyo/

To-Do: (Updated: Jan 10th, 2016)
    - Add more info to profile (Last payment date/amount)
    - Leaderboards and overall pool stats.

Updates: (Updated: Jan 10th, 2016)
   Jan 10th, 2016
      - Payments will be sent out more frequently.
      - New profile/project settings have been added.
      - Work begins on leaderboards and overall pool stats.
   Dec 23th, 2015
      - First test payment!
             http://www.gridresearchcorp.com/gridcoin/?transaction_detail&txid=d0c8e8cbd4acd55dc4fbad181051e1654061b6c978c4e77a327f3ade874fa5d9
             http://explorer.gridcoin.asia/tx/d0c8e8cbd4acd55dc4fbad181051e1654061b6c978c4e77a327f3ade874fa5d9

Edited by Katiee, 02 December 2016 - 11:42 AM.

gridcoin.co - GridCoin Magnitude/Earnings Calculator

pool.gridcoin.co - GridCoin.co Pool (beta) - New GridCoin Research Pool!

Cryptocointalk.com doesn't endorse any ads. Warning: ads my be illegal or untrustworthy in your jurisdiction. Advertising Here.

flark
  • flark
  • Fractal Chemist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • 36 topics
    • Time Online: 16d 7h 38m 57s
  • LocationOhio

This is pretty exciting! Nice work!!!

brewsmith
  • brewsmith
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • 0 topics
    • Time Online: 21h 38m 50s

Excellent, great work Katiee! I have posted links on twitter, facebook and the google + . . . Cheers!

cibban
  • cibban
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • 0 topics
    • Time Online: 3h 55m 33s

Excellent work with the pool! It's a true pleasure being able to help out as one of the early testers. I did not receive any payment from you though. Not that I expect much for the little work my laptop has done so far, but I thought you might want to know that if it was supposed to go out to me (cibban [ at ] cibban [dot] se) it didn't work.

Will there eventually be a possibility to set resource shares etc?

Katiee
  • Katiee
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • 2 topics

The payment was a bit late, had to sync the wallet again.. It went out now. Let me know if you still didn't get anything from it but have a RAC on the pool.

http://www.gridresearchcorp.com/gridcoin/?transaction_detail&txid=d0c8e8cbd4acd55dc4fbad181051e1654061b6c978c4e77a327f3ade874fa5d9

(Block Explorer takes awhile to catch up, should show up on there soon)

Edit: Showing up here already

http://explorer.gridcoin.asia/tx/d0c8e8cbd4acd55dc4fbad181051e1654061b6c978c4e77a327f3ade874fa5d9

Edited by Katiee, 23 December 2015 - 03:30 PM.

brewsmith
  • brewsmith
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • 0 topics

The payment was a bit late, had to sync the wallet again.. It went out now. Let me know if you still didn't get anything from it but have a RAC on the pool.

(Block Explorer takes awhile to catch up, should show up on there soon)

Edit: Showing up here already

Mine is in my wallet, so all is well so far!! Great work as always!

cibban
  • cibban
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • 0 topics
    • Time Online: 3h 55m 33s

Yup. I got it too. :)

Skickat från min GT-I9505 via Tapatalk

Quez
  • Quez
  • Crypto Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,831 posts
  • 19 topics
    • Time Online: 83d 12h 47m 42s

Hey katiee, awesome !
Some questions / suggestions:

1. If I get it right you pay dependent on the total percentage. So you do not consider the projects magnitude in each project?
If I am the only researcher of, lets say, seti I get 100% in that project, maybe with only 100 RAC. Then I would get 1/35th of the total payout ? I think a researcher should get what he would get on solo mode, so you could include the actual magnitude in each project to the payout calculation?

2. Yafu accepts new accounts when created on the homepage using activation code "yafu"
Quez :)

traderman
  • traderman
  • Crypto Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts
  • 40 topics
    • Time Online: 33d 12h 27m 51s

Good work Katiee!

Would be cool to see some payout/miner stats on the pool website. Like how many users are currently participating and payout/cpids statistics.

Edited by traderman, 23 December 2015 - 06:23 PM.

Katiee
  • Katiee
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • 2 topics

Hey katiee, awesome !
Some questions / suggestions:

1. If I get it right you pay dependent on the total percentage. So you do not consider the projects magnitude in each project?
If I am the only researcher of, lets say, seti I get 100% in that project, maybe with only 100 RAC. Then I would get 1/35th of the total payout ? I think a researcher should get what he would get on solo mode, so you could include the actual magnitude in each project to the payout calculation?

2. Yafu accepts new accounts when created on the homepage using activation code "yafu"
Quez :)

Well technically that is how it works on solo mode right? If lets says only one researcher was in team GridCoin on SETI@Home, then they would get 1/35th of the daily network GRC. I thought about getting everyone's mag then comparing it to the pool's overall mag, but as I thought more about it, wouldn't that lead to exactly the same thing anyways? When I pull the data from the project servers it is way more up to date then the NN, so I can't just reward GRC based solely on host mags or else it would add up to more then what is currently held in the wallet. TBH, I'm still not 100% how I should do the math, the more and more I thought/think about it the more confused I get. I'll run some tests in the next couple days and try to figure out a better way. I was planning to ask spassbold how exactly he handled it before. I'm just really bad at doing math in my head, I really have to see it on paper and in action to fully understand it. If you want to go into more detail about how you think it should be done, feel free :)

I do plan to list host mags on the profile page as well as other data like payment amounts/dates, I just haven't got around to that yet, more important things needed to be finished. But now I can more forward on the frontend some more.

Thanks for the info on Yafu! I'll get that added tomorrow then :D Were you all able to get any of those other projects working? Maybe I'm missing something about the ones listed as not supporting weak auths, but whenever I tried to pull the account data from those projects, they did not have weak auths listed, and I read somewhere that projects using an older version of the BOINC site don't have weak auths. Was BAM! able to attach those? I haven't bothered to check yet.

Edit: Hmm after reading over your post again I think I get what you mean. I'll play around with it tomorrow.

Edited by Katiee, 23 December 2015 - 08:21 PM.

Katiee
  • Katiee
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • 2 topics

Good work Katiee!

Would be cool to see some payout/miner stats on the pool website. Like how many users are currently participating and payout/cpids statistics.

Great idea. I wanted to add some overall pool stats and leaderboards, I'll make sure to push this up on the my to-do list!

Quez
  • Quez
  • Crypto Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,831 posts
  • 19 topics
    • Time Online: 83d 12h 47m 42s

:)
Regarding the other projects:
We were able to add all projects because we gave away the BAM weak key that automatically added all projects to a client, just like it was your own cpid. I guess your system, with an own manager, works different. ..

Regarding payment. Well a simple example. If we had only 2 projects, lets say burp and seti, and lets say 2 users.

Burp gives 100 magnitude and seti 10.

User a has 50 Rac in burp and 100 rac in seti

User b has 50 rac in burp.

Payment user a = stakedcoinssincelastpayment *[ (racofusera / allburprac) * burpmag + (racofusera / allsetirac) * setimag ] = stakedcoins*[(50/100)*100+(100/100)*10]

Payment user b = stakedcoins*[(50/100)*100+(0/100)*10]

Merry christmas 😉
Quez

P.s. typing pseudo code with a mobile phone is ... stupid

Katiee
  • Katiee
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • 2 topics

:)
Regarding the other projects:
We were able to add all projects because we gave away the BAM weak key that automatically added all projects to a client, just like it was your own cpid. I guess your system, with an own manager, works different. ..

Regarding payment. Well a simple example. If we had only 2 projects, lets say burp and seti, and lets say 2 users.

Burp gives 100 magnitude and seti 10.

User a has 50 Rac in burp and 100 rac in seti

User b has 50 rac in burp.

Payment user a = stakedcoinssincelastpayment *[ (racofusera / allburprac) * burpmag + (racofusera / allsetirac) * setimag ] = stakedcoins*[(50/100)*100+(100/100)*10]

Payment user b = stakedcoins*[(50/100)*100+(0/100)*10]

Merry christmas
Quez

P.s. typing pseudo code with a mobile phone is ... stupid

My account manager works exactly like BAM!, unless BAM! has some kind of hidden APIs available only to only them.. But I don't believe that is the case. If you use BAM!'s weak auth that should just indicate to BAM! that you want all projects using a weak auth key instead of the full account keys (which would give users access to the pool's account on each project..) How BAM! is able to obtain the weak auths from those projects I'm missing is beyond me, maybe I am missing something, I'll try to look into it after I get the payment math down. I did have some weird behavior with some project's during the sign up / account key retrieve process, so maybe this is related in some way.

So as for the payment calcs, here is what I am planning to do and one concern I have with the entire process..

Since I want to display host mags anyways, I'll just save those mags to the database along with a user's RAC in my host RAC update script that runs every 2 hours. For the past couple weeks I've been running another script to get all team Gridcoin user's project data, (I am planning to use this data for my Earning Calc when I get time to implement it). I'll just sum up the RACs from those tables, thus getting the team's total RAC, to save on another API call. However there is one problem with getting the team's RAC from the project servers instead of the NN.. The NN verifies if a user actually has a wallet/address associated to them, the project server would not, of course. So this could be or become a problem.. And could even be exploitable. Since this verification wouldn't be happening it's highly probable that the team's RAC will be much greater then what it is in the NN. We wouldn't be able to rely on everyone in the team actually being a Gridcoin user.

But would this actually matter? Well, If I were to calculate each host's mag using the project server data instead of the NN, then yes, the mags could be off, but it would be off by the same factor for every host, so If I were just to take percents of each host's mag, compared to the overall pool's mag, it should still be ok, right? This also guarantees that we don't overspend.

So for example:

$hostPercent = $userHostMag / $totalPoolMag
$hostPercent * $stakingBalance = // host's earned Gridcoins

This should come out with the same outcome as your method right? And should reflect what a user would be making if solo mining?

Edited by Katiee, 24 December 2015 - 05:46 PM.

brewsmith
  • brewsmith
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • 0 topics

Hey Katiee,

Thank you for all the work you are doing on the pool, it is very much appreciated. I would like to request if possible ( this is a when you have time thing, I realize you are already working on many things for the pool ) . . . Is it possible to set preferences on Moo! Wrapper to use AMD/ATI gpus? Right now the projects downloading are using CPU only, and my machine runs better with them on the GPU tasks.

The second item is about Gridcoin Finance. I do not know if they are up and running, or sending out new tasks. I do know that they had some issue and lost the accounts that were connected to them. I have registered back with them (using the same email/pass combo) and my account is active again, however I am connected through the pool for that project, and it has not been updating at all. This may be because they are not up yet. . not sure.

Thanks, Merry Christmas, and keep up the excellent work!!

Edited by brewsmith, 26 December 2015 - 02:02 PM.

Katiee
  • Katiee
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • 2 topics

Hey Katiee,

Thank you for all the work you are doing on the pool, it is very much appreciated. I would like to request if possible ( this is a when you have time thing, I realize you are already working on many things for the pool ) . . . Is it possible to set preferences on Moo! Wrapper to use AMD/ATI gpus? Right now the projects downloading are using CPU only, and my machine runs better with them on the GPU tasks.

The second item is about Gridcoin Finance. I do not know if they are up and running, or sending out new tasks. I do know that they had some issue and lost the accounts that were connected to them. I have registered back with them (using the same email/pass combo) and my account is active again, however I am connected through the pool for that project, and it has not been updating at all. This may be because they are not up yet. . not sure.

Thanks, Merry Christmas, and keep up the excellent work!!

Project settings will be coming soon, I promise. It will be the next thing I work on.

So I guess Gridcoin Finance really did do a rollback? :/ That sucks.. I'll remake the account when I start looking into the other projects that are missing. Guess I should do that before working on the project settings... ugh.

--------------

I've finished the payment calculation changes. And I'm now saving each host's mag to the database, so I'll add that to the profile stats when I start working on that page again (during the project settings update)

These new calculations should reflect almost exactly what solo mining would (without the NN/Superblock delays of course)

The only thing holding us back from doing normal, regular payouts is our staking weight. The pool's wallet has plenty of funds to stake, we just need more mag! So come on everyone, get to researching! :P

According to my calculation scripts, the pool's mag right now is only 8.582958134113692 (this is based on RACs from the project server's not the NN, so this about what we should expect come the next superblock)

Edited by Katiee, 24 December 2015 - 09:08 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gridcoin, mining, poolmining, pool mining, research, crunching, gridcoin.co pool, katiee, researching, BOINC, account manager, BAM, mine, BAM!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users