spassbold
  • spassbold
  • Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • 8 topics
    • Time Online: 13d 22h 37m 50s

Hello pool members,

we hope you have learned a few things about Gridcoin so far and feel more comfortable inside this small but growing ecosystem. As you know, the first iteration of the pool was a beta stage. We ran into several problems, some of them were obvious to all of us, some were not. Many problems were solved but one major problem remained: we are currently no longer able to crawl the necessary host specific data fromboincstats.com
 because they either changed something in the code OR even banned us as malicious scraper. We found a possible solution, including 100% independence from boincstats, but it will not be implemented until next year. In the end, we have learned many things! Besides, this happens at the right time. The newbie boost has been reactivated by Rob!

In addition to the issue(s) stated above, the actual pool CPID cannot support World Community Grid. The reason is that this CPID was renamed from “Gridcoin Pool” to “GridcoinPool1” a few weeks ago. World Community Grid has a problem with renaming a CPID as well as it has a problem with some symbols in the password or more than 15 or less than 6 characters in it (be aware of that when you open an own BOINC account/CPID!).

Therefore we decided to shut down the pool in a controlled way for now. Please do not crunch for the CPID “GridcoinPool1” any longer. We will pay out remaining research payments equally to all hosts participating in the pool as we can currently no longer crawl who has done how much work.

Adding new hosts will be disabled from now on and only the hosts that have participated, before this post was published, will get further rewards. Also, Spassbold will pay 25000 GRC of his own fund into the pool, which will be paid out equally among all hosts as a small excuse that the original pool did not work out as intended and to make it easier for those in the pool to start their own CPID. Remaining pool income will also equally be distributed, although nobody is researching anymore.

But with the newbie boost being reactivated, which was the original intention to pull up a pool at the first place, you can start your own CPID. Having an own CPID is the solo mining mode described in the guide below. Once you have staked your first block due to the newbie boost, you do not lose any research payments if you stake within 6 months. This should(!) be possible even with >100 GRC and a magnitude of >1. The moreGRC you have in your balance and the higher the magnitude is AFTER your first staked block, the more often you will get paid.

We, PiGrid, will return with a running pool solution including independent statistics soon. We are sorry about any inconveniences.

Quez, for PiGrid

Guide: Leaving the pool

Once you have decided to leave the pool and try solo mining, you have to leave the pool CPID behind. That means you have to “Stop BAM usage” in the BOINC manager and remove all projects from the manager. If you had an own CPID before, turn your devices back on this CPID due to adding projects with your own login credentials.

I suggest you use BAM. This is the same BOINC account manager we use in the pool so it is capable of controlling many devices on one CPID. Here is a guide to BAM: http://grcnation.com/en/bam-boinc-account-manager/

You can use BAM to consolidate old accounts on projects, but its best practice to create a completely new CPID via BAM to avoid split-CPID problems.

Of course you have to insert your BOINC mail address in the gridcoinresearch.conf file now which can be found in %appdata%/roaming/gridcoinresearch. Insert the line
Email=YourEmail@YourProvider

If you somehow changed the settings to poolmining=true, reverse the changes. Otherwise the client should work as intended after a few days.

Double check whether the newly added projects in your BOINC manager state your account name and team Gridcoin. If no, select all projects and press the update button. Once all projects show the correct account and team Gridcoin, go to your wallet in Help -> Debug -> console and do “execute resetcpids”. Then do “list cpids” and double check whether all projects show the same CPID. If they do, completely unlock your wallet (with an unticked “only for staking” field). Leave the wallet running at least 1 day till a small transaction leaves your wallet – the beacon.

Welcome to solo mining mode, you are now a grown-up Gridcoiner!

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • Posted Today, 10:45 PM

Edited by spassbold, 13 December 2015 - 05:48 PM.

The singularity will happen within a currency.

Cryptocointalk.com doesn't endorse any ads. Warning: ads my be illegal or untrustworthy in your jurisdiction. Advertising Here.

sEpuLchEr
  • sEpuLchEr
  • ChainKeeper at gridcoin.asia
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts
  • 3 topics
    • Time Online: 25d 20h 40m 50s

Maybe you'll like to include that those already crunching BOINC prior to joining your pool will lose their current work and will not be paid for them.

Gridcoin - Paving the Way Towards a Better Tomorrow

GRC: SJgRQKZp19AG49bPwmoJyWQCHpd6CfTzKg || BTC: 13pTr3qXWDvycRLBPgt3bJzJst4ju46CGS

spassbold
  • spassbold
  • Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • 8 topics

yes, that is correct.

When you change to to the pool account, you lose the research done for the current CPID. 

ShmoogleOsukami
  • ShmoogleOsukami
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts
  • 1 topics
    • Time Online: 5d 15h 9m 38s

I'm going to throw my Raspberry pi at this to help with testing. Sent the email :)

ShmoogleOsukami
  • ShmoogleOsukami
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts
  • 1 topics
    • Time Online: 5d 15h 9m 38s

Another thing, What happens when your hostname is the same as someone elses? Just by like coincidence.  

spassbold
  • spassbold
  • Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • 8 topics

Another thing, What happens when your hostname is the same as someone elses? Just by like coincidence.  

The name is needed only for the first run, as soon as there is a bamid, the bamid is used. As the bamid is set every three hours, there is only a problem if the same host name joins within three hours.

As currently hosts are added manually this is not a problem. Later users will be informed that the current host name is in use at the moment, they should try again in three hours.

Edited by spassbold, 16 November 2015 - 02:51 PM.

Quez
  • Quez
  • Crypto Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts
  • 21 topics
    • Time Online: 85d 23h 6m 48s

Maybe you'll like to include that those already crunching BOINC prior to joining your pool will lose their current work and will not be paid for them.

Right. But if you have more than 1 host you could use one for your own cpid, the host where the wallet is running, and the rest in the pool to gather your starting GRC to get your own cpid a kickstart :)

spassbold
  • spassbold
  • Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • 8 topics

This is the CPID of the pool: http://www.gridresearchcorp.com/gridcoin/?cpid_dashboard&CPID=ddc417a5e03d3870682e71ec413904ae

Because of many new member I expect it to grow very fast in the near future!

Rodrigo Pietro Oliveira
  • Rodrigo Pietro Oliveira
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • 0 topics
    • Time Online: 2h 31m 39s

Some doubts;

1) Once I get my "weak key", can I use it on other hosts? OR in mutiple hosts, with different Computer names ?

2) Once I get it, and run it thru the BAM! in BOINC client, can I change the password ? Is it going to be registered as a User in http://boincstats.com/en/bam/ ?

spassbold
  • spassbold
  • Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • 8 topics

Some doubts;

1) Once I get my "weak key", can I use it on other hosts? OR in mutiple hosts, with different Computer names ?

2) Once I get it, and run it thru the BAM! in BOINC client, can I change the password ? Is it going to be registered as a User in http://boincstats.com/en/bam/ ?

Do not just use the weak key, you only get rewarded if you tell us all your host-names and the belonging GRC-address.

For each new host a new email with hostname and address is required (or one email with all the information). Otherwise we do not know where to send the payouts to.

No, the idea of the weak key is that you can research for this account, but cannot change the setting of the account.

Edited by spassbold, 17 November 2015 - 04:46 PM.

spassbold
  • spassbold
  • Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • 8 topics

IMPORTANT NOTICE

You need to send us all the computernames that belong belong to a Gridcoin-address. Do not tell us one computername and add many computers, we have no way to tell whom to reward for the work of this host.

Edited by spassbold, 17 November 2015 - 05:20 PM.

spassbold
  • spassbold
  • Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • 8 topics

Because we currently have several hosts doing research for us, of which we do not know the belonging Gridcoin-address, the closed-beta will be closed until this is sorted out. 

So if you joined the pool with several hosts but only told us about one, please send an email with the computernames of the missing hosts :)

Rodrigo Pietro Oliveira
  • Rodrigo Pietro Oliveira
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • 0 topics
    • Time Online: 2h 31m 39s

IMPORTANT NOTICE

You need to send us all the hostnames that belong belong to a Gridcoin-address. Do not tell us one hostname and add many computers, we have no way to tell whom to reward for the work of this host.

Does this link http://boincstats.com/en/bam/hosts/help ?

spassbold
  • spassbold
  • Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • 8 topics

no, we know the names of the hosts that do research, but need to know the gridcoin address this belongs to.  

Edited by spassbold, 17 November 2015 - 04:58 PM.

dc7d
  • dc7d
  • Master Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • 0 topics
    • Time Online: 40d 19h 12m 24s
  • LocationGermany

Because we currently have several hosts doing research for us, of which we do not know the belonging Gridcoin-address, the closed-beta will be closed until this is sorted out. 

So if you joined the pool with several hosts but only told us about one, please send an email with the computernames of the missing hosts :)

I'm only running the one host I registered.

What does "the close-beta will be closed" mean? Should I stop crunching?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users