• Rob Halförd - (Gridcoin)
  • Gridcoin Developer
  • CODING DEVELOPER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,327 posts
  • 11 topics
    • Time Online: 61d 11h 30m 19s
  • LocationNakamoto Province

I'm starting this to share the current development priorities are, and to provide a place for any wishlist items.

Currently the main priorities:

1) Add the boinc network authenticity packet to coinbase blocks to satisfy auditors and give us the ability to do integrated boinc pool mining in the future  (working on this now)

2) Add a linux-qt client

3) Add a timer-refresh feature to the secure e-mail screen.

4) Share the pooled mining model with the group and evaluate all input.

5) Talk to exchanges about having GRC listed.

6) Integrate Asyrs web site with gridcoin.us.

Cryptocointalk.com doesn't endorse any ads. Warning: ads my be illegal or untrustworthy in your jurisdiction. Advertising Here.

aysyr
  • aysyr
  • Gridcoin Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • 12 topics
    • Time Online: 10d 26m 50s

I think it'd be awesome if you (or if you could get someone) could revamp the client to look a little more sleek and beginner friendly, as in someone who's never seen a crypto before. But still have everything accessible that miners and the rest of us need in terms of functionality. Basically an improved GUI

Other wishes/deas for future consideration:

- Zerocoin protocol (because so many people like it)

- Update notifier that let's users know if there's a critical update they need to install, such as the case of a hard fork

- Auto back-up wallet feature

- Short message feature when sending transactions (a lot of people want something like this as well in a coin)

- An optional "miner's" client that incorporates guiminer, the qt, and BOINC all in one packaged client. Ideally, this can have a default option of automatically sensing which graphics cards you have (like Guiminer) and setting it to an efficient intensity but low enough for their computer to still be responsive (we don't want brand new miners to complain that their computer got slow).

- An optional user tag feature that works like this:

For example if my address label was [Aysyr] on somebody's client, if someone was to send me some FTC, when they put in my address in their client, it would resolve that address to [Aysyr] and show it on their end. That way, it'll let you know you're sending it to the right person. I know even if I get the address right, I still sometimes get paranoid it's not going where it's supposed to be. Kind of like an address book for the client where you enter the address label of an address you have saved, and it'll automatically resolve it to the associated address in the background.

- And also this suggestion I've shared with other coins before, and is a sort of crypto credit card:

You would have a memory device such as a USB, which would have your portable wallet.dat file. This would be different from the .dat file saved on your computer, since you obviously don't want to be taking your entire stash everywhere. It would be even simpler if the client had a portable wallet feature that took care of allowing you to just input a certain amount of coins into your portable wallet, and then exported it as pwallet.dat for example. This pwallet.dat will also be encrypted with a pin number of your choosing upon creation. It can be optional to be able to reload and reuse the pwallet.dat, or you can choose to create a new one each time if you were paranoid about malicious USB readers.

In the merchant side, they would have a program with a modified Feathercoin wallet with a fully downloaded blockchain. When you insert said memory device, it takes the wallet.dat file, and loads it on the interface so that you can access the wallet. Then, you either give or enter your pin number to decrypt the pwallet.dat. It then does an automated transfer portable wallet, to a preset merchant address, with the amount input to be transferred. After the transaction, you take out your memory device and program refreshes any data that might have remnants of your wallet.

Of course there are security risks, such as data remaining on the merchant computer or an autorun virus on the USB stick, but this is just something to build upon

Trade at  C-CEX, a great up-and-coming exchange!

Rob Halförd - (Gridcoin)
  • Gridcoin Developer
  • CODING DEVELOPER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,327 posts
  • 11 topics

Hi Aysyr,

I just read the zerocoin protocol and man is that thing complicated.  It seems like they are trying to facilitate anonymous transactions by creating an alternate block chain and piggybacking one block pointer to each new transaction in the other chain.  I was thinking, if all were trying to do is prevent tracability back to a wallet address why couldnt we build in a feature that a user can enable such as auto wallet backup-recreation by dumping all of the keys once per week or something?  Then a new wallet address is created and the wallets keys are restored but belong to a new public key-- then the public info on the chain about the single user tends to change as they spend money and that should technically solve the tracability issue.  Its much simpler.....

Thoughts?

Also, Im not sure how much demand there is for this, when a user who is worried about anonymity can delete their address and recreate manually.

aysyr
  • aysyr
  • Gridcoin Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • 12 topics
    • Time Online: 10d 26m 50s

Your idea could work if there was a way to check for an existing address. I read the other week that someone actually got an existing wallet address when he generated a new wallet, which I know is very unlikely, yet happened anyway. So to be safe we'd need a check system.  Also, you'd need to make sure cold storage wallets are updated to correct addresses once put back online and don't get mixed up with active addresses.

But yea I agree, it's already anonymous enough and like you said, you can always create a new wallet.

Trade at  C-CEX, a great up-and-coming exchange!

tekbasse
  • tekbasse
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • 0 topics
    • Time Online: 1h 23m 9s
  • Locationhttp://www.linkedin.com/pub/benjamin-b-brink/8/99a/6a4

Wish:

A new Boinc coin that blends a cryptocoin proof process into the BOINC client.

As a question:

Why not replace the cryptographic proof part of the coin process with BOINC processing altogether? 

Allow BOINC to operate a centralized coin; GridCoin is not peer2peer; it's centralized because of dependancy on BOINC.

Twice the processing could be dedicated to "mining" via a single BOINC client running instead of BOINC/crypto clients running side-by-side.

Mining on BOINC would consist of running the BOINC client and tracking calculation contributions. The "blockchain" could be replaced with a much less processor hungry (and less vulnerable to attack) ledger based on standardized ecommerce software and API..

BOINC software is released under LGPL. To call GridCoin a peer2peer coin is a falsehood when running in an ideal configuration anyway..

If you want to play like other cryptocurrencies, then run a wallet/api server separately that is dedicated to handling BOINC-BOINC transactions.. and robust against various web-based attacks.

cheers

Rob Halförd - (Gridcoin)
  • Gridcoin Developer
  • CODING DEVELOPER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,327 posts
  • 11 topics

Wish:

A new Boinc coin that blends a cryptocoin proof process into the BOINC client.

As a question:

Why not replace the cryptographic proof part of the coin process with BOINC processing altogether? 

Allow BOINC to operate a centralized coin; GridCoin is not peer2peer; it's centralized because of dependancy on BOINC.

Twice the processing could be dedicated to "mining" via a single BOINC client running instead of BOINC/crypto clients running side-by-side.

Mining on BOINC would consist of running the BOINC client and tracking calculation contributions. The "blockchain" could be replaced with a much less processor hungry (and less vulnerable to attack) ledger based on standardized ecommerce software and API..

BOINC software is released under LGPL. To call GridCoin a peer2peer coin is a falsehood when running in an ideal configuration anyway..

If you want to play like other cryptocurrencies, then run a wallet/api server separately that is dedicated to handling BOINC-BOINC transactions.. and robust against various web-based attacks.

cheers

Gridcoin is not centralized - nor peer 2 peer LOL:  Gridcoin IS decentralized.  It IS peer 2 peer.

-- Example : If you are in Mexico and I send you 100 grc, and your not running boinc you get them even if our users stop running boinc ->     Decentralized : Yes; peer to peer : YES.

-- If our users mine and boinc goes down:  We still operate; since we have no central authority.

Using the boinc source code as a PoW scheme is a so-so idea and Ive considered it; but its not cryptogprahically strong.

I think the road we have taken is better - more resilient more flexible and more versaitile for the future.

We want to put the onus on the boinc project avg daily credits since that is verified by 3rd parties and is strong.

Also, we have already implemented code that is capable of doing 3rd party API checks for berkeley credits (not pie in the sky; reality).

The issue is I dont want gridcoin to rely on 70 points of failure; so were going to do something very novel.

Before we talk about it Im going to skip to mysql.

Im working on a spec that will allow any data to be stored securely in the database and propogate and conform to a PoW check. 

This will fill in the hole.

Thanks for the advice but it falls short of the solution.

Rob H.

tekbasse
  • tekbasse
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • 0 topics

Rob H., Gridcoin is not pure p2p because it depends on always mining with BOINC as a matter of meeting its principle unique value; and mining value depends on the value BOINC gives it --depending on the BOINC project. Gridcoin-BOINC connection is real and important. Please recommend another thread, and I'll continue exploring the issue there.

tekbasse
  • tekbasse
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • 0 topics

The standard BOINC client is fairly small, and with a bit of work could run within another application. Let me know if you choose this route; I can help with the modifications.

-- David Anderson

David Anderson of BOINC is offering to help insert BOINC client into GridCoin client..

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/dev/forum_thread.php?id=8783&sort=6

tekbasse
  • tekbasse
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • 0 topics

..which means proof of work can be the work contributed to BOINC projects instead of cryptographic spinning wheels..

Rob Halförd - (Gridcoin)
  • Gridcoin Developer
  • CODING DEVELOPER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,327 posts
  • 11 topics

Rob H., Gridcoin is not pure p2p because it depends on always mining with BOINC as a matter of meeting its principle unique value; and mining value depends on the value BOINC gives it --depending on the BOINC project. Gridcoin-BOINC connection is real and important. Please recommend another thread, and I'll continue exploring the issue there.

Hi - I dont mind exploring the inside of boinc for a PoW, but my instinct tells me its not possible; anything that can be altered on the client side can be hacked;

2) Not sure why you say gridcoin is not p2p; lol; If you take boinc out of the picture it still runs.  Thats the whole reason we used the distributed model-- so people can send coins without a central authority.

Mining has nothing to do with p2p.  Mining just gives you a subsidy; when boinc comes back online you can get your credits.

As a matter of fact; since we are 50% avg_credits now; you can run boinc for 12 hours without gridcoin then boot up gridcoin and stop running boinc and get your credits in gridcoin;

We are p2p, by definition.

tekbasse
  • tekbasse
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • 0 topics

Rob, you write:

anything that can be altered on the client side can be hacked;

p2p wallets are generally run on dedicated systems for security reasons. In fact, a BOINC client must be as security aware (or arguably more aware) than p2p wallets are, since the BOINC client is regularly run on desktops in a professional environment.

Currently, about the only way a user knows if a cryptocoin miner or wallet on their computer has been hacked is if their coins are stolen or because of some other symptom external to the wallet software. BOINC runs within OSes that have anti-virus software running. Crypto wallets are not there yet.

2. I get litecoin and thus gridcoin is technically p2p. But, without BOINC, gridcoin loses its primary edge as a currency --since:

GridCoin aims to provide real benefits to humanity by compensating the coin miners for participating in BOINC projects.. (ref: gridcoin.us/ )

Is BOINC p2p?

BOINC is designed to be a free structure for anyone wishing to start a volunteer computing project. (ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkeley_Open_Infrastructure_for_Network_Computing )

Albeit, projects operating BOINC are volunteer based.. which can be interpreted as another layer of p2p on top of a centrally operated Berkeley project.

I think we're splitting hair with definitions. Technically, you are correct as much as any cryptocoin is not centrally operated by the developers running it.

My main point is that  most all the computing power should be dedicated to BOINC activity instead of useless cryptographic PoW.

tekbasse
  • tekbasse
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • 0 topics

Rob,

I want to help GridCoin.

The simple fact is:

If GridCoin doesn't embed BOINC, some other BOINC'in coin will, and then GridCoin will lose whatever unique value it has.. to a new coin that *will* go viral.. whether or not it's interpreted as p2p or centrally operated (by p2p projects).

Will GridCoin be the coin that BOINCs?

joeykrug
  • joeykrug
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts
  • 0 topics
    • Time Online: 2d 12h 41m 50s

Tek gridcoin will donate the majority of it's computing power once the sleep algorithm is implemented. And without that "worthless" cryptographic PoW the coins loses much of its security IMO. Gridcoin's current setup provides a nice balance of security, decentralization, and donation of computational power that I really don't think would work as well if you made it have no crypto backing and just boinc pow. Otherwise you could simply trade boinc points back and forth.

tekbasse
  • tekbasse
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • 0 topics

Security has little to do with PoW when contributions are authenticated by a BOINC project through automatic audits;

Last I checked, contributions are calculated at least twice (by comparing results on different machines).

There is no symbolic difference between Gridcoin mined by cryptography or BOINC processes.

Ideally, Gridcoin are BOINC points.. think about it.

Rob Halförd - (Gridcoin)
  • Gridcoin Developer
  • CODING DEVELOPER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,327 posts
  • 11 topics

Well yes I agree we are splitting hairs on a few things is all; but some things are minor some are some pretty hairy heads we are splitting;

1) Joe does have a point regarding security; Tekbasse your partially correct in that PoW can be stored off chain in the official project SAN drives outside of gridcoin, but no one is trusting their money to those hard drives.  No one who has $1 million in bitcoin would place $1 million in private keys embedded inside boinc projects unsecured; so that at any time when Mad Cow goes bankrupt the money also dissapears.  Yes, security is important along with the p2p part (not splitting hairs here) explaining that when you remove boinc, we still have a secure block chain and the $1 million is stored across lets say 500 systems running gridcoin; now you can go on vacation and come back and know that it is still there when you download your block chain again (on a new computer).  Joes point is also more aligned with what I believe the future of gridcoin should be, implementing scrypt sleep so the miners do not have to churn 100% of the time to secure the blockchain.  So lets throw this out there, if 25% of the miners were securing the chain and had the *ability* to wake up and secure the chain 100% during an attack I think we would have a pretty secure network; but the rest of the time they dynamically sleep and work on boinc gpu projects.  etc.

2) Yes, the coin client is p2p, boinc is distributed software but not p2p, and mostly decentralized (70 projects to choose from).

3) I dont think you got my point about hacking when you went off to say computers have antivirus and run on "professional desktops", lol, I dont know what all that is about; Im talking about hardcore hackers; hackers who write a fraudulent version of gridcoin.  If we were integrated inside boinc, and you are a hacker and download the source, what is stopping you from reverse engineering the PoW scheme and hijacking the chain?  Thats why we have scrypt; because its impossible to slide in a block in between any other 2 blocks; therefore whats in the chain is forward only and the money transactions are secure-- remember this is a coin first; mining second; boinc in parallel for the humanitarian cause.  You cant forget about the others or no one will adopt it.

Rob

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GridCoin Wishlist Todo, Wishlist, ToDo, Priorities

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users