27 votes

New Coin Launch Announcement - GRC - GridCoin

Started By Rob Halförd - (Gridcoin) , Oct 06 2013 08:56 AM
New alternate cryptocurrency new coin launch announcement grid coin

Best Answer Rob Halförd - (Gridcoin) , 26 March 2017 - 06:34 PM

Gridcoin Research 3.5.8.7/MSI=42.1
Mandatory Upgrade

- Added checkpoint at 850000
- Enforce beacon age; beacons over 6 months are discarded network wide.  Beacons may be re-sent without restarting if they are expired.
- To sync: From the command line on windows: grcrestarter downloadblocks.  NOTE ** We still need 51% to upgrade to stay in sync.  After block 855000, clients enforce the mandatory upgrade.
Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
18550 replies to this topic

big_swifty
  • big_swifty
  • Master member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • 12 topics
    • Time Online: 7d 4h 11m 53s
  • LocationEngland

Auto-download blocks works well :)

Cryptocointalk.com doesn't endorse any ads. Warning: ads my be illegal or untrustworthy in your jurisdiction. Advertising Here.

big_swifty
  • big_swifty
  • Master member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • 12 topics
  • LocationEngland

I NEVER stopped using this cpid on this node (my researcher node), costantly with more than 400 magnitude boinc locally installed and more than one BOINC crunchers machines. I have 2 investor nodes too. At least one of this investor nodes WAS a researcher with the same cpid, now it's an investor node.

BUT, please remember that I had an already reported a full stop receiving PoR/PoS for 11 days in a row. If we consider PoR only, the full stop was 12 days (!). Do you remember my (but I think I'm not the only one) rush problem with several PoR in few days?

My fear, already exposed in the past is that I'm loosing my Owed amount because of this (not uncommon) situation and more strict rules... Node seems not able to recover all 14 days backlog in such a few days with so much PoR to put in a row. Probably is should consider a longer period for digging in the past, even if only 14 days are used for reward and owed computation.

Please save my lost work... :)

P.S.: I'll send you more info via pm.

P.P.S.: I'm getting orphans also with latest version, but client seems a lot faster and stable.

You can end up with over 6000 GRC for $20.30 so the value isn't monetary value is it?

Tom Murphy
  • Tom Murphy
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • 0 topics
    • Time Online: 4h 36m 15s

Hi Tom-

Since these coins came from the exchange they had a tiny amount deducted so they did not match - we recommend burning directly from gridcoin classic.

Anyway, I pushed these two through - you should have it now!

Good luck-

Rob

Thanks Rob!

its all working, staking and mining getting coins coming in now! - Supporting Gridcoin fully!

Quez
  • Quez
  • Crypto Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • 21 topics
    • Time Online: 86d 59m 4s

I tried to rebuild the blockchain. The downloadblocks startet automatically after ~5 mins of being stuck at block 0. After downloadblocks was finished I tried to rebuild the blockchain again, just because I wanted to. 2 clients seemed to be opening after the next auto-downloadblocks. one of them downloaded blocks, the other seemed to tr to rebuild the blockchain but stayed at 0. The downloadblocks-wallet then closed because "wallet is already running". I closed bot of the clients. The next time I opened the wallet I had a runaway exception.

EXCEPTION: St13runtime_error       
init_blockindex(): error opening database environment IO error: C:\Users\tobinaptop\AppData\Roaming\GridcoinResearch\txleveldb\MANIFEST-001327: Das Handle ist ungültig.

EDIT: Working with deleting everything except wallet.dat and config

Quez

Edited by Quez, 30 December 2014 - 08:07 AM.

anon3rd
  • anon3rd
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts
  • 9 topics
    • Time Online: 26d 2h 55m 41s

This hacker is a guy who lost a lot of money with Curecoin.

Instead of jumping on board as an early adopter, he wastes his time stress testing our infrastructure.

Pode30
  • Pode30
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • 0 topics
    • Time Online: 17d 11h 19m 5s

Update:

Shutdown GRC

Take out duck in conf

Rename your peers.dat to remove it from the system

Download this peers.dat http://filebin.ca/1mPMy2cvmE4R

Save it where the old one was

Start up wallet

If that fails......

Maybe go to each project website page. They all have a 'my account' link on the left in the middle. Manually check each one for

1. correct email address EG: Same as in ALL conf files in ALL nodes

2. check stated CPID for each project (you can usually see cross-project links at the bottom) is all the same and same as stated in BOINC BAM! if you use that and also as stated in the output from the wallet console when you do 'list cpids'

I am getting an error in a test node when I do 'list cpids'

"Errors" : "CPID invalid. Check E-mail address."

I am pretty sure I have it set up right so I am going to do manual checks.

I have same email address and list cpids shows valid

With the peers.dat what you gave i get this:

12/30/2014 12:15:33 connect() failed: 101
12/30/2014 12:15:34 connect() failed after select(): Connection refused

I tried restarting the router to get new ip address but it won't help

vladare
  • vladare
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • 2 topics
    • Time Online: 13d 18h 46m 56s

This hacker is a guy who lost a lot of money with Curecoin.

Instead of jumping on board as an early adopter, he wastes his time stress testing our infrastructure.

I guess we can say big thank you to the hacker to make the gridcoin more stable for free in respect to different attack vectors.

p.s.

My company usually pays money for the same work :))

Edited by vladare, 30 December 2014 - 07:56 AM.

Rob Halförd - (Gridcoin)
  • Rob Halförd - (Gridcoin)
  • Gridcoin Developer
  • CODING DEVELOPER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,325 posts
  • 11 topics
    • Time Online: 61d 11h 20m 23s
  • LocationNakamoto Province

Maybe I'm paranoid, but doesn't this "automatic downloadblocks" make it less "decentralised"?

And what if the site where the snapshot resides gets compromised? It also makes it less secure.

We have a key called "suppressdownloadblocks=true" the new user can put in and download the old fashioned way if they are paranoid.

We're just trying to make it easier for a new user to get started.  If you guys want to take a vote to remove the feature we can do that.  Or, we can add a question to the GUI that asks if they prefer automatic download or manual, of course they might not know what that means.

Otoh, we have over 12 checkpoints in the coin.  Its pretty much IMPOSSIBLE for someone to create a bad chain (practically speaking)  - because its practically impossible to even create one fraudulent block in between two blocks.  I think we should stick to our guns and give them the feature.

Rob

Rob Halförd - (Gridcoin)
  • Rob Halförd - (Gridcoin)
  • Gridcoin Developer
  • CODING DEVELOPER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,325 posts
  • 11 topics
    • Time Online: 61d 11h 20m 23s
  • LocationNakamoto Province

Rob, I reported a couple of days ago that after an update, all my crunchers had a time between 3 and 4 days also.

All my machines have been running like this for months now. It just happened after one of the updates.

My 2nd oldest cruncher with a historical CPID says this:

{
"CPID" : "7c63375382911f0225a67bd2ea9764d4",
"Magnitude" : 234.04213186,
"Payment Magnitude" : 234.04213186,
"Payment Timespan (Days)" : 5.14278935,
"Magnitude Accuracy" : 21.00000000,
"Long Term Owed (14 day projection)" : 1805.44407545,
"Long Term Daily Owed (1 day projection)" : 128.96029110,
"Payments" : 1757.01000000,
"InterestPayments" : 4.32605302,
"Last Payment Time" : 1419916320.00000000,
"Current Daily Projection" : 48.43407545,
"Next Expected Payment" : 24.21703772,
"Avg Daily Payments" : 125.50071429
}

Thanks Eyes!  Its weird, because I did not receive this complaint after I plugged the attack vector, but now I have received this complaint all over the place; so, its possible they are unrelated.  Ill make this a top priority today to look at it.

ALSO:  For everyone else - regarding orphans:  Thanks to all the new logging, Im getting a clearer picture of whats happening.   

Imo, we still have 3 types of orphans:  time attack orphans, multiple submission orphans and bad chain orphans.

Im prioritizing these because we have control over the first two.

Time attack orphans means someone with a bad clock staked after you but the block was stamped before you.  If you submitted first, you lose the block to someone who submitted later with an earlier time.  Thats pretty unfair.  Im going to look at this type of orphan today and maybe we can solve this type with a PoW nonce on the block (something that proves how much work you did to make the block, rather than the time you stamped it).

On the second type, I clearly do see about 4 gridcoiners are submitting solutions at the same time, while only one lucky gridcoiner solves the block.  This concurrency issue is also major.  I have an idea to possibly fix this concurrency by prioritizing by GRC wallet address (Chosen because both investors AND boincers have a default wallet address to receiving the mining payments; while CPIDs are not on investor blocks).  If we can prioritize the LastBlockHash against the GRCaddress, and give a 90% priority boost to the address that hashes higher, this will most likely cure the concurrency issue.  

The third, moving off the chain is not happening very much now as most Reorgs are a result of an orphan anyway.  So I dont think we need to tackle #3.  So Ill work on those 2+Eyes issue today, and we'll go from there.

Rob

anon3rd
  • anon3rd
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts
  • 9 topics
    • Time Online: 26d 2h 55m 41s

Really? Holy cow thats a huge find; how did we find this out and is this blogged somewhere about shafting our infrastructure?

I contacted their community on BCT and received ignorant and hateful PM in return. Nothing to blog just yet.

TheDrake
  • TheDrake
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts
  • 0 topics
    • Time Online: 10d 9h 34m 41s

You can end up with over 6000 GRC for $20.30 so the value isn't monetary value is it?

I'm simply trying to help spotting some strange behavior I've found. Not worried for value or energy I would spend anyway for BOINC too. As an old geek I just like perfection... :D

BTW, with only few K of GRC in nodes I run I think that monetary value is not my priority... :D

P.S.: If my reports are not useful at all, I'll stop posting, sorry. :(

big_swifty
  • big_swifty
  • Master member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • 12 topics
  • LocationEngland

I contacted their community on BCT and received ignorant and hateful PM in return. Nothing to blog just yet.

Maybe we can have a pentest gallery with some 'name and shame' and 'zero to hero' entries. I guess it just delays us  ...  'what doesn't kill you makes you stronger'

C.M
  • C.M
  • Crypto-Laird
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts
  • 100 topics
    • Time Online: 45d 18h 6m 28s

Thanks; its a good idea- but just like everything else in IT, given enough time and resources, anything is possible :).  However, I have not even been successful in having one c++ programmer port our autoupgrade process to linux yet - or write the SQL query analyzer GUI in QT (for the linux side).  So its another pie-in-the-sky idea.  If I had to, I would make the block acceptor faster for blocks below 75000 (or maybe best height / 2) to force newbies to sync faster (ie remove all checks) and we would have to live with that until we can have a second dev actually contribute some lines of code that make it to prod.

The autoupdate process on linux could be made unneccessary via the build automation & packaging - that way an user can just update via 'apt-get update', etc.

Hopefully we'll have this sorted out soonish : )

^ Smash that upvote button! ;D

Follow me on:

Github

Twitter

Steemit

SoundCloud (Hangouts)

C.M
  • C.M
  • Crypto-Laird
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts
  • 100 topics
    • Time Online: 45d 18h 6m 28s

PPA are build based on the receipe we create, so it's up to us.

Edit: I think.....

Cool, let's work on a recipie then in this thread: https://cryptocointalk.com/topic/25724-group-research-build-automation-package-support/

^ Smash that upvote button! ;D

Follow me on:

Github

Twitter

Steemit

SoundCloud (Hangouts)

drehb
  • drehb
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts
  • 1 topics
    • Time Online: 7d 6h 53m 4s

I think that the best way is to load the blockchain from nodes directly but using the torrent like approach, i.e. download multiple parts in parallel. 

For Bitcoin, I seed a file called bootstrap.dat via torrent.  People can download it, put it in the Bitcoin data directory, and the client scans it on load.

Refer to: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=145386.0

Edited by drehb, 30 December 2014 - 11:17 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: New alternate cryptocurrency, new coin, launch announcement, grid coin

17 user(s) are reading this topic

3 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users

Jimmy1, barton26, LennStar