56 replies to this topic

C.M
  • C.M
  • Crypto-Laird
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,961 posts
  • 100 topics
    • Time Online: 45d 15h 40m 56s

How about we think up new BOINC projects that we could create as a community?

I was thinking about the concept of distributing a lightweight gridcoin daemon that is pre-configured to act as a supernode as a work unit and reward score based on quantity of computers you're running it on, the quantity of connections to your node and the bandwidth you're providing.

With this kind of boinc project, we could incentivise hosting gridcoin supernodes and we could entirely eliminate fragmentation of node versions by distributing the daemon client via BOINC.

You would need to build in a firewall check to verify that the node's network communications are not being blocked by windows or by a user's router.

Thoughts?

There's also the possibility of creating a (monetised/commercial/for-profit) BOINC project where you (as a user wanting x processed by boinc users) pay a quantity of GRC to get your workload to have priority on the network.

The money taken by the project would be distributed out equally (dependant on user relevant contribution) and a small fee taken for the site, and a slither set aside for some kind of gridcoin foundation where we help fund BOINC, fund development, fund competitions etc?

Please keep the ideas legal guys, and keep it simple to begin with - we don't all know fortran ;D

Links:

Boinc project cookbook: https://boinc.berkeley.edu/trac/wiki/CreateProjectCookbook

Existing /r/gridcoin topic: http://www.reddit.com/r/gridcoin/comments/22uzgk/commercial_application_of_boinc_is_already/

^ Smash that upvote button! ;D

Follow me on:

Github

Twitter

Steemit

SoundCloud (Hangouts)

Cryptocointalk.com doesn't endorse any ads. Warning: ads my be illegal or untrustworthy in your jurisdiction. Advertising Here.

traderman
  • traderman
  • Crypto Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts
  • 40 topics
    • Time Online: 33d 15h 53m 42s

I would sat let's see how the new CPU mining works out and then we can start adding the custom BOINC projects.

C.M
  • C.M
  • Crypto-Laird
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,961 posts
  • 100 topics

I would sat let's see how the new CPU mining works out and then we can start adding the custom BOINC projects.

Yeah, this is just some fun thinking up concepts for simple boinc projects.

IMO, the supernode gridcoin client project would be massively beneficial to the gridcoin network.

I'm so excited for the new CPU mining to be released, it'll be fun to compete on the leaderboards! : D

Follow me on:

Github

Twitter

Steemit

SoundCloud (Hangouts)

wzbysek
  • wzbysek
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • 0 topics
    • Time Online: 10d 12h 24m 31s

A project that involves neural network simulations would be neat. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/10567942/Supercomputer-models-one-second-of-human-brain-activity.html - they used the fourth most powerful supercomputer in the world, and it still took 40 minutes to simulate 1 second of human brain activity. 

If Gridcoin had just 1/10 of the current btc network's hashate, we could do these simulations in real time. 

#Gridcoin

C.M
  • C.M
  • Crypto-Laird
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,961 posts
  • 100 topics

A project that involves neural network simulations would be neat. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/10567942/Supercomputer-models-one-second-of-human-brain-activity.html - they used the fourth most powerful supercomputer in the world, and it still took 40 minutes to simulate 1 second of human brain activity. 

If Gridcoin had just 1/10 of the current btc network's hashate, we could do these simulations in real time. 

http://mindmodeling.org/ Pretty sure this project is already on the case! :)

Follow me on:

Github

Twitter

Steemit

SoundCloud (Hangouts)

RTMoney
  • RTMoney
  • Crypto Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts
  • 28 topics
    • Time Online: 32d 22h 13m 23s

How about we think up new BOINC projects that we could create as a community?

I was thinking about the concept of distributing a lightweight gridcoin daemon that is pre-configured to act as a supernode as a work unit and reward score based on quantity of computers you're running it on, the quantity of connections to your node and the bandwidth you're providing.

With this kind of boinc project, we could incentivise hosting gridcoin supernodes and we could entirely eliminate fragmentation of node versions by distributing the daemon client via BOINC.

You would need to build in a firewall check to verify that the node's network communications are not being blocked by windows or by a user's router.

Thoughts?

There's also the possibility of creating a (monetised/commercial/for-profit) BOINC project where you (as a user wanting x processed by boinc users) pay a quantity of GRC to get your workload to have priority on the network.

The money taken by the project would be distributed out equally (dependant on user relevant contribution) and a small fee taken for the site, and a slither set aside for some kind of gridcoin foundation where we help fund BOINC, fund development, fund competitions etc?

Please keep the ideas legal guys, and keep it simple to begin with - we don't all know fortran ;D

Links:

Boinc project cookbook: https://boinc.berkeley.edu/trac/wiki/CreateProjectCookbook

Existing /r/gridcoin topic: http://www.reddit.com/r/gridcoin/comments/22uzgk/commercial_application_of_boinc_is_already/

I've said it before but it is worth repeating.  I like both of those ideas!  

I think the super-node project, the "police" project Rob proposed a while back, and a project involving distribution of the wallet would all benefit Gridcoin network security/stability and be well worth the resources and are inevitable at this point.  If I was a betting man (actually I am) I would wager that those will be developed shortly after the wallet/pool/website etc. is up and stable.

I also think that a commercial distributed compute project is inevitable.  All one really needs to do this is a network protocol to distribute the work and an easy way to pay for the work completed.  Gridcoin solves the payment problem and BOINC solves the distributed network problem.  I expect that at some point individuals will be able to plug into the commercial project, contribute and get paid without even mining.  It will be like a pool but instead of mining you are computing something for someone else and getting paid in Gridcoin to do it.  If the project isn't white-listed it won't steal all the resources from contributions to science/research but it will monetize the compute cycle and make it very easy to measure exactly how much is being contributed to the scientific community.  

amacen
  • amacen
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • 1 topics
    • Time Online: 5d 13h 44m 22s

Could BOINC/GRC be used to decentralize certain global configurations, similar to how NameCoin attempts to decentralize DNS?

anon3rd
  • anon3rd
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts
  • 9 topics
    • Time Online: 26d 2h 55m 41s

Let's do this supernode-as-a-service for other cryptocurrencies that are willing to pay.

That way, gridcoin becomes the stabilizer and foundation for all.

Certainly, defeating BTC's problem with staying up to date will bring quite some press! :)

anon3rd
  • anon3rd
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts
  • 9 topics

Could BOINC/GRC be used to decentralize certain global configurations, similar to how NameCoin attempts to decentralize DNS?

It is definitely able to, but this is another approach. sharing computation is different from sharing static info.

the latter can be achieved with any distributed (blockchain) application.

Gridcoin does allow for even more.

amacen
  • amacen
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • 1 topics

GRC should be getting press anyway. I'm surprised I've heard almost nothing about it in the various podcasts I've been listening to. Once I'm confident I know it very well I'd love to jump on a stage and extole the virtues of it!

amacen
  • amacen
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • 1 topics

It is definitely able to, but this is another approach. sharing computation is different from sharing static info.

the latter can be achieved with any distributed (blockchain) application.

Gridcoin does allow for even more.

I see what you're saying. I was thinking along the lines of p2p content/resource sharing, specifically media streaming (not torrents). Could a workload like that realistically be distributed among participants and served (seamlessly) to the general public?

I get that it's static info, but the workload is still conceivably quite large. With the increased murmurings around Net Neutrality it might not be a bad position to consider.

anon3rd
  • anon3rd
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts
  • 9 topics

I see what you're saying. I was thinking along the lines of p2p content/resource sharing, specifically media streaming (not torrents). Could a workload like that realistically be distributed among participants and served (seamlessly) to the general public?

I get that it's static info, but the workload is still conceivably quite large. With the increased murmurings around Net Neutrality it might not be a bad position to consider.

Media streaming is traffic and traffic is yet another dimension in the picture.

It is typically heavy on bandwidth but not so in terms of computing workload.

This is the answer for plain media-files (static). It could become computationally intense,

if you resize or recode the transferred media (dynamic), for instance, because you want to asymmetrically encrypt what is transferred.

But those resources aren't burnt for good cause, as encrypted video would typically be stored with symmetric keys, who can be securely distributed via DH without comprising security.

Despite, realtime animations, high resolution rendering for movies are common heavy computing fields.

amacen
  • amacen
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • 1 topics

Great explanation. Thanks for the response :)

C.M
  • C.M
  • Crypto-Laird
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,961 posts
  • 100 topics

It could be done yeah, but the problem is that the boinc project would likely run into legal issues quickly. Copyright/illegal content being uploaded.

Let's do this supernode-as-a-service for other cryptocurrencies that are willing to pay.

That way, gridcoin becomes the stabilizer and foundation for all.

Certainly, defeating BTC's problem with staying up to date will bring quite some press! :)

The question is - what cryptocurrencies would you trust to allow on the boinc project?

You have to be very careful with distributing work units to users from a potentially malicious, anonymous source.

However, if the cryptocurrency daemon was screened and deemed legit, it could be sent to users, sure.

But in the mean time, let's focus on grc/btc/ltc? ;D

Follow me on:

Github

Twitter

Steemit

SoundCloud (Hangouts)

anon3rd
  • anon3rd
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts
  • 9 topics

It could be done yeah, but the problem is that the boinc project would likely run into legal issues quickly. Copyright/illegal content being uploaded.

The question is - what cryptocurrencies would you trust to allow on the boinc project?

You have to be very careful with distributing work units to users from a potentially malicious, anonymous source.

However, if the cryptocurrency daemon was screened and deemed legit, it could be sent to users, sure.

But in the mean time, let's focus on grc/btc/ltc? ;D

exactly.

I'd say, featuring distributed btc/ltc supernodes would take us to all front pages

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users